For centuries, the Russians have sold the world an image of rudeness and unwavering spirit, especially because they have been known through their military armies. And the truth is that there are many myths surrounding the Russian military.
To clarify some doubts, today we present 10 things you should know about Military service in Russia.
10 Things you should know about military service in Russia
- Between the 18 and the 27 years, Military service for Russian men is mandatory. But if you are a university student you can request an extension.
- As in any country, not all men are willing to provide military service. So they choose an option available in recent years that consists of fulfilling a substitute social service of two years in a state organization. It can be a hospital, a library, an organization, the administrative entities, etc. The figures indicate that the 0,2% of the calls to rows are inclined by this option.
- Another group avoids going to military service in Russia by paying bribes, falsifying exams that indicate serious illnesses or extending their university career with a postgraduate degree in the best of cases.
- Teachers and parents of three or more children have the freedom to decide not to go to the ranks.
- Soldiers are recruited twice a year: in spring and in autumn. But in any context, recruits do not have the freedom to decide where to perform their service. They can be sent to any part of the country.
- The military is very respected in Russia, for its distinguished history. Basically, the army in Russia is a place to make a career. Especially in the Soviet era, the military had a superior social rank, they were prestigious people.
- But if there was a time when military morale was in tatters. When the USSR fell, the soldiers stopped being prestigious people to be annoying people. The troops were short of supplies and regaining morale among the Russian people has been a slow but sure process.
- The recruits do not have vacations or free days. The time that the military service lasts, the recruits are active every day. That is why many young people in recent years prefer to avoid this commitment.
- For less than a decade, the morale of the Russian army has been at the top. The military and recruits are people respected by family and society. Meanwhile, armies from other parts of the world agree that, beyond arms, the Russian army is synonymous with efficiency.
- During the USSR, military service was mandatory and there were no options like now. The rules were much harder, and in fact many were maintained until our century. But particularly in the 2008 year, a series of much more flexible reforms were promulgated, but at the same time they made the army more committed and efficient.
The army is a pride for most Russians and many of the myths that are held to date belong to the era of the USSR, not the present.
And you dear Russianlover, what do you think about military service in Russia and in general?
We invite you to leave your opinion in our comments.